Sunday, August 2, 2009

Currently working

I rarely talk about a project in progress. Mostly because I don't have the camera at the studio when I am working, or I just don't have the time to take the pictures anyway, but I've got something this time.

I have been commissioned to make a bridesmaid's dress. The bride originally wanted her maid to wear this:


But it was a bit out of her price range. Over $300.

She asked me if I could make something similar. And I am making it for roughly half the price. I am not directly knocking this off, but rather improving the design and functionality of the dress.

This the the sample bodice:



The improvements:
I widened the waistband so that the gathers stop right under the bust, which is more flattering than the gathers too the waist in the first photo.

And the skirt--which isn't sewn on this sample because it is going to fit loosely over the hips, so no fitting was necessary (and is a waste of time and fabric)--is going to match the fullness of the gathers on top, and will have 2 deep pockets that are actually able to store some stuff. It doesn't look like much can be stored in the pockets of the dress pictured, and I think a more serious pocket will come in handy at a wedding, or anyplace for that matter.

The fabric is the same silver color. Its a pretty dupioni silk, kind of crisp, which will hold those gathers quite nicely, and the back is going to be finished with covered buttons on the collar, and on the waistband.

More pictures to come quite soon since the wedding is on August 8th.

3 comments:

lsaspacey said...

Ooh, nice. The original bodice looks more like pleats than gathers, I like your version much better. It's more flattering because it will have an hourglass shape. Can't wait to see the finished version.

draza said...

I loved meeting you at Device!!

I am a musician and dancer...i have a dance video and some songs at www.myspace.com/draza jansky . . . if you ever want to collaborate somehow . . . if you need someone to sing or dance in your clothes :-) . . . run it by me!

You are the best model for your stuff. Love the photos and your style as much as I love the designs!

Draza
drazadance@gmail.com

novemberjuliet said...

I can't wait to see how this turns out!