Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mesa College Fashion Show 2009

This is how I felt after the fashion show:


Hours before this event I had 2 custom items to complete--a pair of men's pants and a dress (both for which I am awaiting pictures)--and I barely finished. The day before, I finished the pants, but I still had a lot to do on the dress, so I stayed at the studio quite late. The next day (fashion show day) I had to do laundry, do the last finishing touches on the dress, and make it to the hotel for the show by 1:30. Well, I woke up at 5 to do laundry, got to the studio around 7:30, finished the dress and part of the belt by 11:30. At which time she came to pick it up, but I wasn't done with the belt. (Ah, crap!) So she took the dress, and I told her I would have the completed belt early the next morning. So I went home with about 1/3 of a belt done, and had just enough time to shower, get ready, and eat. I made it to the hotel at 1:45. (Thanks for the ride Kate)

I still had to sew the belt buckle for this girl's dress, so I brought a needle and some thread to the fashion show to sew while I was waiting in line with other models to get my makeup done. The show didn't start until 7:30 so I had enough time to finish.

I didn't need to get my hair done for obvious reasons. But makeup. I don't wear makeup so when the makeup artist asked me what I wanted I said, "Something natural, not too much, no foundation, and I am going to be wearing my glasses anyway." She replied, "Natural. So no eye shadow?" "No. . . well maybe very little." I think she put purple, of all colors, on my lids. "Do you have to wear your glasses?" "Yeah, I'm pretty blind." "You sure you can't go without them?" "Jesus Christ! Yes I am sure!" Then she threw on some blush, then some more powder, some eyeliner, mascara. Geez, did I really need all of this? "How about red lips?" Hm, red lips would go with the 50's style dresses I would model, "Ok, sure." For the next 2o minutes it was red pencil, red lipstick, more pencil, wiping some off, more lipstick . . . All the while, there is a mirror in front of me, but all I could see was messy blurs of color. So when I was finished, I put my glasses on and took a good look at myself. Eh, I wasn't into it.

I just can't pull off those red lips, and there was too much eyeliner. And all that mascara just weighing down my already sleepy eyes. Whatever. This is the last time I model. (I had vowed that once before, but this time I meant it.)

Other than the makeup, and being tired, it was a good night. I won some awards. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards are given in each category. I had 4 outfits in 4 different categories.

This got 1st place:


This got 2nd:


and this got 3rd:


This one didn't make the cut. Oh well.

And here's a video of me on the runway. Enjoy it, because this is the last time I do any more runway modeling.

My mom, aunts, and little sister were there to see me, as well as a few friends, and my boyfriend. So that was cool. I think that my family and friends enjoyed seeing me on the runway, so in that case, I am glad I modeled. Everything fit me perfectly anyway.

After the show, I went home to change and get rid of that terrible makeup. I don't have makeup remover, so it took me three tries with body wash. Then, back to the studio because I still had to finish the belt. The buckle was done, but I still had to cover the belt backing, and attach the buckle to it. About an hour later, I was done. Then Mikey and I went to eat some burritos at Santana's. A few friends happened to be there, so we sat and talked with them. Got home late, then woke up at 6:30 to be to work at 7. Got off at 2 and finally, sleep.

7 comments:

retroliving said...

Yay for you winning so many awards.

I love the dress that got first just stunning!
♥Darla

lsaspacey said...

Wow, you rocked those awards! Since the dresses are similar in style and construction (AND all fabulous!) I was wondering what exactly were the separate categories they were entered in?

lsaspacey said...

Also you CAN definitely wear red lipstick. She just probably put on two much of the other stuff, one because it's her job and two, she wanted it to be seen from a distance. But I could definitely see you in a red lipstain. Just not big opaque glossy lips, but a more practical look. It would definitely work with your clothes, hair, and glasses.

Marta said...

Congratulations girl! your dresses looked fabulous on the runway! it was such a fun experience. I had so much fun!!

Check out my page at www.martaklinker.com

I am looking forward to seeing more of your designs!

Marta

Sugardale said...

Normally the dresses would have been on three different models and would have come out right after the other, but because there was only one petticoat for all three (there was no way I was going to make to more of those!)they had to be spaced out. So the polka dot one was in "Day wear" the lace was in "Club wear" and the satin was in "Evening wear".

Lady Be Good said...

Congratulations! The dresses look great in action... I love the bounce of the petticoat on the runway. Re: the red lipstick... I too find that when wearing striking glasses, you gotta keep the make-up light otherwise your face gets lost. That's the great thing about cool glasses... you don't really need anything else!

Affi'enia said...

Congrats on the awards! I love the spotty one. I agree with the previous comment about the lipstick, red is just about the getting the right shade and format :o)