Tuesday, May 27, 2008

CHALLAAANGE!!

The content of this post has nothing to do with this video except for the fact that when I hear or think the word "challenge" I think, "CHALLAAANGE" and think of this funny video with Bill Cosby and Sandman Simms and his badass dancing! So enjoy this little video first, then read on.


I was in the middle of Tales of Suspense #46, and the Crimson Dynamo was just about to electrocute Iron Man when my boyfriend interrupted me and proposed a little challenge, "You should make an Iron Man costume and wear it to Comic-Con. I'd like to see what you could do using fabric."

"CHALLAAANGE!" I thought. As I continued to read,--Iron Man, of course, uses his transistor power to create a force field and therefore shields himself from the Crimson Dynamo's electrical onslaught--I started to think about what the costume should look like, and how I am going to pull of an iron suit without any iron at all. . .

My interest in Iron Man and comics is quite recent: After seeing Iron Man in the theater I really got into the story. So I ordered Essential Iron Man Vol. 1, and a few days later my boyfriend bought Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 for me. YES!

Comic-Con is less than two months away, and I think I have a pretty good start already:
I've drafted the patterns, made a test sample of muslin, and perfected it. I haven't figured out the helmet yet, but I have some ideas. Currently I am working on the gloves, and soon the boots. I was going to purchase some red go-go boots for a sexier Iron Man look, but common sense set in. There is no way I will be able to walk around this huge convention center dodging thousands of other people while wearing heels, and not get pissed off by mid-day. So my idea for those is to make boots that I can put on over a nice comfortable pair of shoes.

So this is what I want the final product to look like:



With a few adjustments of course, the obvious being the material. My costume won't be made of metal. Quite the opposite, for I am going to line red vinyl with some batting so I will actually be quite soft. (Hopefully I won't have to fight any enemies, or I'm doomed.) The bottom is going to be a skirt rather than iron-undies. I am going to have to pee more than a few times at the Con and I don't want to have to take off the whole suit to do so. The belt--which is not going to be functional--is going to sit at my hips and not my waist to make fitting and pattern making easier. And I am going to buy gold leggings from American Apparel, and another pair for my arms as well.

And this is what I've got so far (my muslin sample):


Side pods for spare radio parts (peanut butter lids):


Close-up:
That light* is a high intensity chest beacon that can penetrate walls of blackness! And can be purchased at Ikea for about $5.

*In the movie Tony Stark has to wear the light (can't remember what it is called in the movie) to keep shrapnel from moving to his heart and killing him. In the comics (so far as I am into them, at least) Tony has to wear a chest plate that covers his entire torso keep the heart working. It also has an outlet that he plugs in to recharge. Kind of silly, I know, but 1960's Iron Man isn't aware of all the technological advances of the 21st century.

Now just imagine this all shiny red with gold leggings. With gloves, boots, and a helmet. Oh man! I think it is going to be pretty cool. It's just too bad I won't be able to fly in real life.

And this is how dorky I am:

If you haven't seen the movie or read the comics, then I'll tell you that in the beginning Tony Stark, millionaire playboy, and munitions manufacturer, is taken prisoner by our nation's enemies and forced to make weapons for them, but instead he actually designs an iron suit which protects his life as he makes his escape.

So, while I was working, I pretended that I was Tony Stark making an iron suit. He had to draft some plans; I had to draft patterns. He had to make his iron suit prototype; I had to make a muslin sample. He eventually makes a better Iron Man suit; I will eventually make the final costume. So you can see the similarities. . .

Next ish: Sugardale meets her greatest foes yet . . . A pair of gloves that join forces with some boots to form an unstoppable duo. Don't miss it!

1 comment:

Kung Fu Pimp said...

This was the coolest post. Can't wait to see the finished Iron(Wo)Man suit. Looks great so far!

I know it's prolly corny, but I was thinkin' that a matching mask based on the ones that came with the old Halloween costumes (with the rubber band that goes behind the head) would be COOL. You're prolly going for a more serious look than that, but...